Guide to The ISTE Submission Process
In 2015, as part of a class project in the CSU Fullerton Master of Ed Tech program, I applied to National CUE and ISTE. My applications were rejected but the following year I was accepted to both conferences. The only thing I did differently from one year to the next was to ask somebody for tips on the submission process and look at a successful proposal.
Fast forward to today, and I have shared at the National CUE Conference and the ISTE Conference for three years running. I honestly believe that all it took was a little guidance and some authentic examples, and that is why I am sharing all my presentation resources and submissions with you. These are some of my key points for you to consider when writing a major proposal.
- Your activity should genuinely be about improving instruction and learning. People will attend your session because they want what is best for their students.
- Share something that makes you stand out and you are passionate about. Don’t hop into a fad or gimmick, but be aware of current research and best practices.
- Consider these conference session as a capstone to your year. This is your chance to share one of your best lessons/activities/pedagogy with highly motivated educators.
- You should already be out and about presenting on similar topics! Attend CUE affiliate conferences and present!
- You can write your proposal in one day but put thoughtful consideration in your session title and description. These small elements will have a significant impact on how many people attend your session.
- You should probably follow the acceptance rubric, but I rarely do.
I almost forgot to mention that many people always say “who has time to do all that work and submit a proposal?” I did most of these proposals on the last submission day. I didn’t start working on my ISTE 2019 proposal until the night it was due. If you are already doing the work, it’s not that hard.
- Public Program Link https://conference.iste.org/2017/program/search/detail_session.php?id=108289636
- Proposal Submission https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tX6diqt3jXFhHQPvkjtJbhHsb2_g451T/view?usp=sharing
- Conference Presentation Link and Resources http://www.eddiesclass.com/genius-hour-2-0/
- Public Program Link https://conference.iste.org/2018/program/search/detail_session.php?id=110913657
- Proposal Submission https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lPG7spO5sLJ2OtZHUQPYxJFOxJnjM_p4/view?usp=sharing
- Conference Presentation Link and Resources http://www.eddiesclass.com/iste-2018/
- Public Program Link https://conference.iste.org/2019/presenters/submission/SessionForm_Public.cms?
- Proposal Submission https://drive.google.com/file/d/1inFUW_QzfV67jMWlE-TsLteBM2zCATKR/view?usp=sharing
- Conference Presentation Link and Resources http://www.eddiesclass.com/children-teaching-children-teachers-and-university-students/